INTERVIEW WITH FLORIAN KALTSTROM
When the scene talks about deep techhouse sound you can often hear the name of Florian Kaltstrøm. He is well known for his deep-percussive but clear sound, which brings the mass to the dance floors around Europe.
- Hello Florian, thanks for talking to us. Now it’s already August in 2016, how do you reflect back on the first part of year? Did you had a very special moment, that you still remember?
Hi, great to chat with you guys. Well, i have to say that, every time when i get onto the stage and start playing, its a kind of special moment for me.
But the last time when i shared the stage with Sam Paganini at Grelle Forelle, that was really special moment. The crowd, Sam and the club, all together it was totally crazy and finally i can say, I had a really good time there.
- Your production is frequently played out by huge names in the industry. Can you remember that defining moment you heard your music had being played out?
Yes, that was a couple of years ago, when some friends shared a picture with me, that was showing Richie Hawtin playlist at the Enter Party, where one of my tracks was included. That was weird because i was wondering where he did get this track.
- You release on famous labels like SCI+TEC or Bedrock how is your relationship to the label owner´s?
Is your relationship rather based more on a business level or do you also have personal contact even to other artists?
I have a good relation to some artist such like Re.You, Miguel Bastida, Benny Grauer, Smash tv and Aaaron. Aaaron and me, often play online the division together on playstation 4.
But if you want to know if i have a closer contact to Dubfire or John Digweed, i have to say no.
But when Ali (Dubfire) and i share the stage, we have a blast.
- Do you have a residency Club you play regular?
Most of the time i play at Grelle Forelle, Pratersauna and Sass. These are my favorite spots to hang out and play. I love the atmosphere there.
- Have you managed to get used to playing there or does it still give you that same feeling of excitement?
There is always a little excitement when it comes to a show. I love that feeling. i hope it keeps on going.
- Looking further into 2016, will you be focusing more on playing out or working in the studio?
I trying not to focus, i take everything as it comes. For me thats the best way to sort my life and i m not putting me into a rush or something like that.
- If you could define the music you make and play without using genre terms like “house” or “techno”, how would you describe it?
I would say, deep, dirty, groove. That was hard. hahahaha
- Do current, contemporary sounds and styles influence you in the studio? Or would you describe it as a timeless working environment?
When i was playing a show, i take this influences which i have made on the stage.
I try to take this experience that i have had and use it for a new project for example. Then i get a really nice workflow and i can always bring it to an end product within 5 hours. I am more that kind of producer who start to produce a new track if there is an idea. I do not forcing myself into creative progress when i make music, that doesn’t really work for me.
- Do you have other than the obvious equipment, clean underwear, your passport, etc, what are three essentials you bring with you on the road?
I always have the new National Geographics magazine or a history magazine with me and also my iPad with some movies is an essential for boring moments in a hotel.
- One just for fun…. what’s the wildest or most embarrassing thing you’ve seen or done at a show?
When i was playing, a girl threw her pants from the back onto me but i didn’t realize so fast and when i had finished, i turned around she said ” look what you did to me” i didn’t get it first because i looked in her face, but then i looked down and i saw that she wasn’t wearing pants…
- What would be that one tip for up and coming DJs and producers looking to break into the scene?
Well,stay focused, do your own thing, don’t produce for entering some stupid charts and find your own style.
- Finally, could you recommend two DJs or producers to our readers that you feel deserve their attention?
I like Lobert a lot, he is a very talented young producer, very deep, very minimal, he did a remix for me which is coming soon on Observatory Music. Reeks is my absolutely favorite techno producer, he is fucking awesome.
I also really love his second project called Architectural, its very very big music.
Thank you Florian for the nice smalltalk which was really interesting. If you guys out there have the possibility to catch Florian on stage don´t miss this chance, you will be impressed!
Show some love and follow Florian Kaltstrom on your beloved social network
or get some of his tracks on Beatport
Listen to Florian Kaltstrøm on Viva la Electronica